top menu

Seutter’s Map of Muscovy
Seutter’s Map of MuscovySeutter’s Map of Muscovy

Seutter’s Map of Muscovy

£450.00

Mappae Imperii Muscovitici pars Septentrionalis

In stock

SKU: 7195 Categories: , Tags: ,

Quick Description

Title

Seutter’s Map of Muscovy

Mapmaker(s)

SEUTTER, Matthaus

Place of publication

Augsburg

Date of publication

c.1730

Colour

original

Printed Area Measurements

49.5 x 58 cm

Full Description

Copper engraving, 49.5 x 58 cms, original hand-colour, blank verso. A detailed early 18th century map of Muscovy or north-western Russia, following the cartography of De l’Isle, which includes the recently-established settlement of St Petersburg, described on the map as a city built by the Tsar. Matthäus Seutter (1678-c.1757) was apprenticed to Johann Baptist Homann in Nuremburg in 1697, but in 1707 returned to Augsburg and founded his own map publishing house, which became the primary competitor of the Homann firm. The rival businesses dominated the German, and to a significant extent the international map markets throughout the eighteenth-century; Tobias Conrad Lotter inherited half of his father-in-law’s business and in 1758 he established his own firm, taking his share of the copper printing plates.

Product Enquiry