Skip to content

Conder & Kitchener’s Map of Western Palestine

SKU: 9330
£3,000.00

Title:
Conder & Kitchener’s Map of Western Palestine

Date of publication:
1897

Binding:
publisher's half morocco portfolio

Publisher(s):

  • Palestine Exploration Fund
  • Author(s):

  • Claude Reignier Conder
  • Horatio Herbert Kitchener
  • Map of Western Palestine, in 26 sheets from surveys conducted for the Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. London, Palestine Exploration Fund, 1897.

    The Palestine Exploration Fund had a complex series of objectives which included archaeology (including but not limited to Biblical archaeology), scientific survey and military intelligence gathering. Conder and Kitchener (the future Field Marshall) were both young lieutenants seconded from the Royal Engineers when they surveyed Palestine west of the Jordan on behalf of the PEF between 1875-77. Their one-inch map in 26 sheets was the most detailed and accurate map of the region published in the 19th century, and it was the basis for the ordnance survey which informs modern maps of Israel and Palestine; it also influenced political boundaries, such as the border between Israel and Lebanon.

    The map was published in various forms, utilising different aspects of the data collected by Conder, Kitchener and other members of the PEF expedition (for example, Palestine in antiquity). The title page of our example is dated 1897 but the sheets of the 26 sheet map all carry the original date, 1878, and there is no indication they have been revised.

    Condition & Materials

    Letterpress title-leaf, 26 photozincographed map sheets, each 54.5 x 69.5 cm, printed at the Ordnance Survey in Southampton, with original hand colouring to towns and coastline and 4 sheet key map, each sheet 61.5 x 51 cm, which were printed in London by Edward Stanford Ltd and are dated 1881; some dustiness, toning and neatly repaired nicks and tears; original publisher’s black half-morocco portfolio over green cloth, rebacked, light staining, title blocked in gilt to front cover with original date of publication (1880).