SDUK Map of WarsawSKU: 9103
SDUK Map of Warsaw
Date of publication:
33 x 40.5 cm
Steel engraving, 33 x 40.5 cm, engraved by Thomas Edward Nicholson after William Barnard Clarke, original hand colour, blank verso.
This map of Warsaw shows the boundary of the city in 1762 outlined in yellow, and the present city walls in red. At the foot of the map is a series of architectural elevations of prominent buildings.
The Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge was founded in 1826 with the high-minded aim of making 'useful' information available to self-taught members of the working and lower middle classes. Some of the material was decidedly abstruse, subscribers fell away and the Society was wound up in 1848; however, the series of 209 maps published over a 14 year period from 1829 onwards were highly praised for their superior quality, accuracy and aesthetic appeal and remain an outstanding achievement.