Engraved British chart of Jiaozhou Bay on the southern coast of the Shandong Peninsula, 66 x 100 cm, black and white, engraved by John and Charles Walker after A.J. Boyle, centrefold; shows soundings etc, with interior detail of relief, roads and settlements.
Surveyed by the sloop HMS Swallow in 1863 and first published in 1865, our example of the chart incorporates additions and corrections to 1912 from various sources, including German charts to 1911. Jiaozhou Bay was a German colonial concession, the Kiautschou Bay concession, between 1898 and 1914, with its adminstrative centre at Tsingtau, or Quingdeo. The layout of the town, rapidly expanded by the Germans, is shown in detail at the centre of the chart.