Quad royal station wall map, 102 x 126.5 cm, lined on paper and linen, some infilling at fold intersections, slight dustiness and one or two closed nicks and tears in lower margin.
This is a postwar quad royal version of Beck’s innovative and influential diagram, published for display in stations across the Underground network. The Northern Heights extension and other unbuilt elements of the 1930s New Works Programme were finally abandoned in 1950, and our example is similar to the 1951 map which introduced an unobtrusive 4 x 6 grid.
The print code of our example is 853-1756M-7500 (2 chgs) 2500. An issue with a near identical code (only the final run, 5000 instead of 2500, has been changed) marks the introduction of Beck’s final heavily revised design which continued in use until 1960, featuring the ‘rectification’ of the Thames, a simplified rectangular Circle Line, a new way of showing the branching of certain lines which was intended to give the branches equal importance, and an 11 x 16 grid. Garland dates this to 1954, but the transition appears to have been fractionally earlier. Ken Garland, Mr Beck’s Underground Map, p. 42-44.