Blaeu’s Map of Radnorshire

£250.00

Radnoria Comitatus, Radnorshire

In stock

Blaeu and the rival Golden Age Dutch cartographic publishing house of Janssonius raced to bring out atlases of the British Isles in the 1630s and early 1640s, to add to their expanding world atlases. The work of the two firms represents Dutch map-making of the highest quality at a time when the Low Countries were at the forefront of the international market.

Both of these great map houses worked from Elizabethan and Jacobean surveys by Saxton, Speed and others, and based the accompanying text on Camden’s Britannia. They retained distinctive features of British county cartography (such as the enclosures); distinguished local historical figures with their coats of arms; and decorative elements giving a flavour of the region, as on this map of Radnorshire.

Blaeu issued the first editions of his British atlas, with Latin and French text, in 1645 and Dutch text the following year. It was never printed in English. The Blaeu Atlas was eventually extended to the eleven volume Atlas Major, widely considered to be the most magnificent work of its kind ever published, and issued in various editions between 1662 and the disastrous 1672 fire which destroyed most of the firms copper plates and effectively put them out of business. The Blaeu firm was official cartographer to the Dutch East India Company (VOC), and Blaeu globes were carried on all VOC vessels.

Condition & Materials

Copper engraving, 38.5 x 50 cm, original hand-colour, Dutch text to verso.

References

Koeman, Atlantes Neerlandici, Bl 45A

Title

Blaeu’s Map of Radnorshire

Mapmaker(s)

BLAEU, Joannes

Place of publication

Amsterdam

Date of publication

1646

Colour

original

Printed Area Measurements

38.5 x 50 cm