Copper engraving, 32 x 19 cm, black and white as issued, blank verso.
Soho Square was originally named King’s Square, for Charles II, and the map covers modern Soho, between Wardour Street to the west and Hog Lane (approximately the route of today’s Charing Cross Road) in the east. At the top of the map is Tiborn Road, or Oxford Street, and at the foot is Leicester Fields. Note Leicester House, briefly the residence of the Prince of Wales in the 1740s.
John Stow’s A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster was originally published in 1598 and 1603, but revised and expanded works under his name appeared over the following two centuries. This detailed ward plan was commissioned towards the end of his life by Richard Blome (1635-1705) for a proposed ‘Survey or description of the citties of London and Westm[inste].r’ (entered in the Registers of the Stationers’ Company in 1695) which never materialised. The plates were sold and Blome’s name erased after his death and they were included in John Strype’s edition of Stow’s Survey printed in 1720 (which itself took over a decade to see through the press, despite the backing of a large consortium of booksellers), and in the edition of 1754-55.