Copper engraving, sheet size 53 x 78.8 cm, map of Worcestershire dissected into 16 panels and laid on linen, original hand colour in outline, some wear and separation at folds, handwritten paper label pasted to verso, folding into worn marbled slipcase with letterpress title (‘Worcestershire, with name of map-maker added in a contemporary hand). Title and dedication to George, 6th Earl of Coventry (courtier and Lord Lieutenant of Worcestershire, 1722-1809) set within rococo cartouches.
This map has detailed geographical and historical notes in the borders, some of which are suspect, but in keeping with the thinking of contemporary antiquaries. For example, the etymology of Droitwich (Droitwich Spa since the 19th century) is suggested as ‘Durtwich, probably from its dirty situation’. Modern interpreters suggest ‘droit’ as in the French ‘right’, referring to the grant of a charter by King John. Earlier Roman and Anglo-Saxon names relate to the production of salt, and the association of the county with ‘the very best kind of salt for fineness, whiteness and hardness’ is well attested. Lampreys from the River Severn, and ‘great quantities’ of local cider and perry also rate a mention. Our example of the map was issued separately, but it was also published in editions of Kitchin and Bowen’s ‘Large English Atlas’, compiled 1753-60.