Cattermole’s Pictorial Map of Northumberland & Durham

£300.00

In stock

Double royal station poster, 25 x 40 inches (63 x 101.5 cm), printed in colours, trivial wear, old folds, blank verso.

There are a couple of references to local industry: ship building on the Tyne, the vast railway works at Shildon and the steelworks at Consett. These were going concerns rather than heritage sites, and as the map is aimed at visitors to the region most of the illustrations refer to outdoor leisure pursuits such as trout fishing, or cover local historical figures such as the heroic Grace Darling, historical buildings such as Hexham Priory or Bamburgh Castle, and sites such as Flodden Field or the well preserved Roman road known as the Devil’s Causeway. The Chillingham cattle get a mention too.

Cattermole includes the county coats of arms, the badges of local regiments and railway heraldry of British Railways’ predecessors in the region, from the Stockton and Darlington through to the LNER, but in this first year of nationalisation British Railways itself is conspicuously absent. Surprisingly little thought had been given to corporate identity or even a logo in the run-up to nationalisation, and it was some months before the British Transport Commission’s logo, the ‘cycling lion’, was adapted for use.
Lance Cattermole (1898-1992) studied at Central School of Arts & Crafts and The Slade. He was born into an artistic family: his father and grandfather were both artists. His grandfather, George, was a friend of Dickens and collaborated on illustrations for the Old Curiosity Shop and Barnaby Rudge, but he specialised in romantic depictions of antiquities and the past. Some of this seems to have rubbed off on his grandson, as posters he produced for British Railways included depictions of King John, Cromwell, Nelson and the Pilgrim Fathers.

Title

Cattermole’s Pictorial Map of Northumberland & Durham

Mapmaker(s)

CATTERMOLE, Lancelot Harry Mosse

Publisher

Jordison & Co. Ltd

Place of publication

Middlesbrough, London

Date of publication

1949

Colour

original

Printed Area Measurements

63 x 101.5 cm