David Allen’s 1909 Tri-Fold Passenger Map


In stock

Tri-fold passenger map, 11 x 15 cm, printed in colours on linen backed card, edge wear, light staining to right hand panel affecting Finsbury Park and London Bridge areas; covers worn: the gold is dulled but the black text remains sharp and clear. Signature (‘RW Taylor’) to covers and lower margin of map. Vertical UndergrounD logo on cover (more often seen outside stations than in print). Bishopsgate, shown on our map, was renamed Liverpool Street in November 1909. This example, unusually, was issued by the Metropolitan Railway, which was not part of the Underground Group. The format is the archetype of the series of folding pocket maps designed by Fred Stingemore in the 1920s, opening to reveal three panels, and the direct ancestor of the maps given away at stations today. Leboff and Demuth, ‘No Need to Ask’, p. 56


David Allen’s 1909 Tri-Fold Passenger Map


Underground Electric Railway Company of London Ltd


David Allen & Sons Ltd

Place of publication


Date of publication




Printed Area Measurements

11 x 15 cm