Large-scale engraved county map of Suffolk in 6 sheets, each approx. 70 x 58.5 cm, black and white, each sheet dissected into 9 panels and laid on linen edged in brown silk, to which there is a little wear in places. Vignette of Bury St Edmunds engraved by William Woolnoth, bottom left. Diced calf slipcase with gilt ruled spine and red calf lettering piece, worn.
The Greenwood brothers were land-surveyors from Yorkshire who undertook a series of wholly original large-scale county surveys, which formed the basis of a new county atlas published 1829-34. In the face of growing competion from the Ordnance Survey they were among the last to do so, and the project was not a financial success: in 1834 Christopher was imprisoned for debt and the engraved plates soon passed to other hands.
Their large-scale maps were published in partnership with a solicitor, George Pringle, and his son. They are remarkably detailed, showing the boundaries of the counties, hundreds and parishes, churches and chapels, castles and priories, mills, canals, woods, parks and pleasure grounds, and individual houses. It is possible to see distances between towns, which of those sent representatives to Parliament and where the toll bars were on the turnpike roads.