Copper engraving, 59 x 49.5 cm, original hand colour in outline, light browning, corners strengthened, blank verso.
The principal map, attributed to D’Anville, covers Central America, the Gulf of Mexico and the Carribean; insets show the isthmus of Panama and plans of Saint Augustine in northeastern Florida, Veracruz (Mexico) and San Domingo (Saint-Domingue, Haiti), with a view of Mexico City at the foot. The founder of the business, Johann Baptist Homann (1664-1724), was a self-taught copper engraver who founded the leading German cartographic publishing house of the eighteenth-century. He was appointed cartographer to the Holy Roman Emperor in 1715, and his maps were sold throughout Europe. After Homann’s death his maps were published by his son, Johann Christoph, and then by the Homann Heirs (his friend Johann Michael Franz and his stepsister’s husband Johann Georg Ebersberger).