Copper engraving, 49.5 x 58.5 cm, original hand-colour with black and white cartouche and legend, lower margin trimmed to platemark, trivial marginal stain outside platemark, blank verso. This is the first state of the map (Homann’s publishing privilege was added below the place of publication after 1715, see below) and it is one of only two maps engraved by J.B. Homann’s son, Johann Christoph (1701-30) in his short life.
As credited in the cartouche, his map of ancient and modern Attica is derived from a map by British author George Wheler (1651-1724), who was one of the first western antiquaries to travel in Greece when he visited in 1675 and 1676; Homann’s version even retains Wheler’s coat of arms. Wheler’s ‘Journey into Greece’ was published in 1682.
Johann Baptist Homann (1664-1724), was a self-taught copper engraver who founded the leading German cartographic publishing house of the eighteenth-century. He was appointed cartographer to the Holy Roman Emperor in 1715, and his maps were sold throughout Europe. After Homann’s death his maps were published by his son, Johann Christoph, and then after 1730 by the Homann Heirs (his friend Johann Michael Franz and his stepsister’s husband Johann Georg Ebersberger).