Lewis’ History of Islington

£450.00

The history and topography of the parish of Saint Mary, Islington, in the county of Middlesex. London: printed for the author, by Gilbert & Rivington; published by J.H. Jackson, 1842.

In stock

Samuel Lewis (1820/21-1862) was the son of the publisher of an impressive series of British topographical dictionaries and associated atlases. He was the draughtsman of the map of Wicklow for his father’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (and presumably completed other uncredited work for him too; Creighton also worked with Lewis senior). He wrote two books on Islington history, and ‘The Book of British Rivers’.

In the preface to this work Lewis acknowledges his debt to John Nelson’s 1811 history of Islington but insists that his own work ‘cannot with propriety be termed a new edition’: he has brought Nelson up to date, but has also added ‘much matter… of the existence of which Mr Nelson had no knowledge’.

Condition & Materials

4to. pp. xvii, [iii], 486 + additional engraved title-page, folding table and folding map engraved by John Dower after a survey by Roger Creighton; with numerous illustrations in the text (one further map, views, monuments, coats of arms etc) engraved on wood or steel; some spotting, especially to the engraved title. Brown publisher’s cloth, blocked in gilt and blind, minor wear, headcap renewed. Twentieth century bookplate of journalist and newspaper editor Frederick James Higginbottom (1859-1943); old signatures of John Ayers and EC Hayles on engraved title (Ayers appears on the list of subscribers).

References

OCLC 18981167; Hyde, London Parish Maps No 240.

Title

Lewis’ History of Islington

Author(s)

LEWIS [junior], Samuel

Illustrator(s)

Map engraved by John Dower after a survey by Roger Creighton

Publisher

JH Jackson, printed for the author by Gilbert & Rivington

Place of publication

London

Date of publication

1842

Binding

publisher's cloth