Steel engraving, approx 33 x 41 cm, engraved by Josiah Henshall after William Barnard Clarke, original hand colour in outline, numbered in and old hand, blank verso.
This map of Berlin has architectural elevations of principal public buildings at its foot. Berlin was capital of the Kingdom of Prussia, Austria’s rival as the leading power in the German Confederation after the Napoleonic Wars.
The Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge was founded in 1826 with the high-minded aim of making ‘useful’ information available to self-taught members of the working and lower middle classes. Some of the material was decidedly abstruse, subscribers fell away and the Society was wound up in 1848; however, the series of 209 maps published over a 14 year period from 1829 onwards were highly praised for their superior quality, accuracy and aesthetic appeal and remain an outstanding achievement.