SDUK Map of St Petersburg

£250.00

In stock

Steel engraving, 33.5 x 40 cm, engraved by Benjamin Rees Davies after William Barnard Clarke, original hand colour, numbered in an old hand, blank verso. A map of St Petersburg with vignette of the ‘Isakiefskoi’ (Saint Isaac’s) pontoon bridge, the first across the river Neva.

The Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge was founded in 1826 with the high-minded aim of making ‘useful’ information available to self-taught members of the working and lower middle classes. Some of the material was decidedly abstruse, subscribers fell away and the Society was wound up in 1848; however, the series of 209 maps published over a 14 year period from 1829 onwards were highly praised for their superior quality, accuracy and aesthetic appeal and remain an outstanding achievement.

Title

SDUK Map of St Petersburg

Mapmaker(s)

SDUK

Engraver(s)

DAVIES, Benjamin Rees

Publisher

Baldwin & Craddock

Place of publication

London

Date of publication

1834

Colour

original

Printed Area Measurements

33.5 x 40 cm