Copper engraving, 50 x 58 cm, map of Palestine engraved for Seutter by his son-in-law Tobias Conrad Lotter, original hand-colour, blank verso.
The central figure on Eichler’s baroque cartouche may well be the Empress Maria Theresa; the inset map, bottom right, features the Exodus.
Matthäus Seutter (1678-c.1757) was apprenticed to Johann Baptist Homann in Nuremburg in 1697, but in 1707 returned to Augsburg and founded his own map publishing house, which became the primary competitor of the Homann firm. The rival businesses dominated the German, and to a significant extent the international map markets throughout the eighteenth-century; Tobias Conrad Lotter inherited half of his father-in-law’s business and in 1758 he established his own firm, taking his share of the copper printing plates. Laor, Maps of the Holy Land, 721