Copper engraving, 38.5 x 53 cm, original hand colour, lightly toned with minor marginal discolouration where previously mounted, one or two marginal repairs, blank verso. A highly decorative map of Cambridgeshire, with inset map of Cambridge, flanked by the college crests in the borders, and with the figures of four scholars at the foot of the map.
John Overton bought the well-worn copper printing plates for Speed’s county maps shortly before 1700, when they were already almost a century old. His son Henry altered the imprint and updated the plates by adding roads (following Ogilby) and continued to offer the maps well into the eighteenth-century. The colour is typical; it was unusual for earlier examples of Speed’s maps to be coloured for the publisher, but to some extent it would have compensated for any weakness in the impression. Although examples of Speed’s maps with Overton’s imprint are relatively late, they are uncommon. Skelton, County Atlases, 89.