UERL 1908 Passenger Map


Featuring the first use of the ‘UndergrounD’ logo

In stock

The earliest version of this map, know as the Common Design, also advertised the Franco-British Exhibition which closed at the end of October 1908, but as Leboff and Demuth remark (‘No Need to Ask’ page 50) it is in the upper border that the map ‘forms such an important development in graphic design’: the is the earliest appearance of the ‘UndergrounD’ logo on an official map.

Recording the extensive development of deep-level lines in the Edwardian period, this map also represents a significant advance towards the issuing of passenger maps in a convenient format. It most highly significant cartographical advance is the colour-coding and equal weighting of lines, first championed independently by the London Evening News.

At this point only four of the lines shown were under the umbrella of the UERL (Underground Electric Railways Company of London Ltd, a precursor of London Transport), the others remained independent. However, no distinctions are made on the map – which makes it easier to read, particularly in terms of where best to change trains to complete a journey. Most earlier maps prioritised the line of the issuing company, but passengers were now encouraged to view the Underground as an integrated network.

Condition & Materials

Green-bordered ‘common design’ Underground map, 28.6 x 27.5 cm, printed in colours with green border, folded for insertion in a guide book with blank verso, one or two closed tears along the folds.


UERL 1908 Passenger Map


Underground Electric Railways Company of London Ltd


Johnson, Riddle & Co.

Place of publication


Date of publication




Printed Area Measurements

28.6 x 27.5 cm