Six panel passenger map, 20.3 x 27 cm, printed in colours, small crease to bottom left hand corner, minor marginal staining and trivial adhesion damage (the map may have been tipped into a promotional booklet); with places of interest and amusement and travel information printed on the verso. This iteration of the UERL common design marks George Philip & Son’s first official map for the Underground Group; the firm had designed the first colour coded Tube map with equal weighting of lines for the Evening News in 1907. The vertical Undergound logo was more commonly seen displayed outside stations than on maps.
This example has been overprinted to advertise Whiteley’s, an innovative purpose built department store, which opened on Queensway in Bayswater in 1911. In the Edwardian period stores such as DH Evans and Dickins and Jones had commissioned their own maps, but the official UERL common design proved adaptable and was increasingly used by individual firms to promote their businesses. Dodd, Maps of London’s Transport, p. 52; Leboff & Demuth, No Need to Ask, p. 58.