Tri-fold passenger map, 11 x 15 cm, printed in colours with ‘Gardiner’s’ overprint, light stain to central panel, on linen backed card, significant wear at folds and corners. Vertical ‘UndergrounD’ logo on cover (more often seen outside stations than in print).
This example, unusually, was issued by the Metropolitan Railway, which was not part of the Underground Group. The Central London Railway extension from Bank to its new terminus at Liverpool Street is shown as under construction on the map, so the period between July 1910 and July 1912 is the likely window for the printing of this edition.
The overprint is for the Edgware Road branch of Gardiner’s department store, which was on the corner with Chapel Street. Gardiner’s was known as ‘the Harrod’s of the East’ with its flagship store in Whitechapel. The format is the archetype of the series of folding pocket maps designed by Fred Stingemore in the 1920s, opening to reveal three panels, and the direct ancestor of the maps given away at stations today. Leboff and Demuth, ‘No Need to Ask’, p. 56