PLA Plan of the Royal Group of DocksSKU: 9558
PLA Plan of the Royal Group of Docks
Date of publication:
57 x 105 cm
Our map captures a particular moment in the history of the docks. After extensive postwar reconstruction and development, the Port of London saw its ‘best year in 1964 when trade exceeded 61m tonnes and the number of enclosed docks reached its peak’ (PLA). The Royal Group of Docks, completed in 1921, became London’s busiest docks in the first half of the 20th century and survived as commercial docks until 1981. London City Airport opened there in 1987, although most of the docks are still navigable.
Condition & Materials
Folding map, 57 x 105 cm, printed in colours, dissected into 10 panels and laid on linen, folding into cloth covers stamped in gilt with the map’s title and the job description of the user (‘assistant engineer’). Scattered contemporary annotations in pencil, and a couple of small blue ink stains. Published in London.