Prince’s Pictorial Map of LavenhamSKU: 9265
Prince’s Pictorial Map of Lavenham
Date of publication:
50.5 x 54.5 cm sheet size
Lavenham in the Hundred of Babergh in the County of Suffolk
Pictorial map of Lavenham, sheet size 50.5 x 54.5 cm, printed in colours, decorated with a strapwork cartouche and heraldic shields, slight toning, signed by the artist in pencil to lower right, blank verso.
Lavenham was a prosperous wool town, known for its fine array of surviving mediaeval buildings. The coats of arms are those of a member of the de Vere family, which owned the village between the 14th and 17th centuries; Thomas Spring, cloth merchant and one of the wealthiest men in England; Henry Copinger, a former rector, with a fine monument in the parish church.
L.S.M. Prince (1894-1985) was born at Halstead, Essex and came to be known for watercolour landcapes. In 1926 he became head of Colchester School of Art, and from 1929 he was head of Woolwich School of Art. Our map seems to have been published from his home at The Furze, Brakemoor [Breakmoor] Hill, Middleton, a village on the outskirts of Sudbury on the Essex/Suffolk border.