Acropolis, Lower End of the Valley of PetraSKU: 5347
London: Day & Son for FG Moon, 1842-45. Tinted lithograph by Louis Haghe after Roberts, 33.5 x 53 cm, slight marginal waterstaining. From the first edition of ‘The Holy Land’ which, with ‘Egypt and Nubia’, form “one of the most important and elaborate ventures in nineteenth-century publishing, and ... the apotheosis of the tinted lithograph” (Abbey). A view of the commercial and adminstrative heart of the ancient trading city of Petra. The free-standing structure is the Qasr el Bint al-Faraoun, a Temple probably dedicated to the Nabataean deity Dushara. Abbey, Travel, 385.