Lewis’ History of IslingtonSKU: 9337
The history and topography of the parish of Saint Mary, Islington, in the county of Middlesex. London: printed for the author, by Gilbert & Rivington; published by J.H. Jackson, 1842
Samuel Lewis (1820/21-1862) was the son of the publisher of an impressive series of British topographical dictionaries and associated atlases. He was the draughtsman of the map of Wicklow for his father’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (and presumably completed other uncredited work for him too; Creighton also worked with Lewis senior). He wrote two books on Islington history, and ‘The Book of British Rivers’. Read more
In the preface to this work Lewis acknowledges his debt to John Nelson’s 1811 history of Islington but insists that his own work ‘cannot with propriety be termed a new edition’: he has brought Nelson up to date, but has also added ‘much matter... of the existence of which Mr Nelson had no knowledge’.
Condition & Materials
4to. pp. xvii, [iii], 486 + additional engraved title-page, folding table and folding map engraved by John Dower after a survey by Roger Creighton; with numerous illustrations in the text (one further map, views, monuments, coats of arms etc) engraved on wood or steel; some spotting, especially to the engraved title. Brown publisher’s cloth, blocked in gilt and blind, minor wear, headcap renewed. Twentieth century bookplate of journalist and newspaper editor Frederick James Higginbottom (1859-1943); old signatures of John Ayers and EC Hayles on engraved title (Ayers appears on the list of subscribers).
OCLC 18981167; Hyde, London Parish Maps No 240. Read less